- Discuss with my parents their wishes if they are no longer
able to live independently.
- Understand that the cost of a skilled nursing facility may
exhaust my parents' savings in a relatively short time period.
- Explore the possibility of nursing home insurance.
- Review my parents' Medicare supplement policy to see if it
meets the necessary coverage and understand what the policy
does and does not cover.
- Investigate retirement and nursing home options in my area.
- Learn if my parents have wills, trusts, and powers of attorney
in place to accomplish their goal to avoid a costly probate
- Learn where my parents keep their powers of attorney and Living
- Be fully aware of support groups for families in similar situations.